Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:40:21 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> "Ben Sizer" <kylotan at gmail.com> writes:
> > Flexibility is good, but personally I think the problem is that instead
> > of useful variety, we have redundant overlap. How many different
> > templating systems, sql<-->object mappings, and URL dispatch schemes do
> > we need? And what exactly is the difference between them all, except
> > for slightly different syntax?
>
> Well, they come in at least three major variants: complete publishing
> system (ake zope), templating system (aka psp), and modules (aka
> cgi). Each of these is focused on a different level of the problem,
> and hence is suitable for different things.

I see what you mean, but unfortunately I think there is a lot more
fuzziness than that. If the separate parts were clearly delineated
things would be a lot better. I look to the Database API Specification
as a great example of how this could (should?) be done, allowing for
easy interchangeability while still providing a well-documented
standard, and the opportunity to bundle a basic module with the
standard library without raising the difficulty level for those who
wish to use other frameworks. A PyWebForm API and a PyWebSession API
would be fairly easy to create, for example. Templating maybe less so,
but not much.

> Syntax can be very important, especially for templating
> systems. Typically, those are used in situations where you have a lot
> of X/HTML and want a bit of dynamic content. Ideally, you want to be
> able to treat this just like a static HTML page. If the syntax of a
> templating system makes your standard web tools puke, you probably
> want to avoid it.

I think templating syntax is very important, but with something like
Python I think the future is in modules like HTMLTemplate rather than
the ASP/PHP model. When you're working with a valid XML page in the
first place, all your tools should work adequately.

--
Ben Sizer