Interprocess communication and memory mapping

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 15 15:20:13 EST 2005

In article <1134588296.408921.172310 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "James  Aguilar" <aguilar.james at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I have a couple of questions:
>
> * Is there any way to have Python objects (Such as a light or a color)
> put themselves into a byte array and then pull themselves out of the
> same array without any extra work?  If each of the children had to load
> all of the values from the array, we would probably lose much of the
> benefit of doing things this way.  What I mean to say is, can I say to
> Python, "Interpret this range of bytes as a Light object, interpret
> this range of bytes as a Matrix, etc."  This is roughly equivalent to
> simply static_casting a void * to an object type in C++.

Not exactly.  One basic issue is that a significant amount of the
storage associated with a light or a color is going to be "overhead"
specific to the interpreter process image, and not shareable.  A
Python process would not be able to simply acquire a lot of objects
by mapping a memory region.

However, if you're ready to go to the trouble to implement your
data types in C, then you can do the (void *) thing with their data,
and then these objects would automatically have the current value
of the data at that address.  I'm not saying this is a really good
idea, but right off hand it seems technically possible.  The simplest
thing might be to copy the array module and make a new type that
works just like it but borrows its storage instead of allocating it.
That would be expedient, maybe not as fast because each access to
the data comes at the expense of creating an object.

> * Are memory mapped files fast enough to do something like this?

Shared memory is pretty fast.

> * Are pipes a better idea?  If so, how do I avoid the problem of
> wasting extra memory by having all of the children processes hold all
> of the data in memory as well?

Pipes might likely be a better idea, but a lot depends on the design.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu