Favorite flavor of Linux? (for python or anything else)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Dec 4 17:17:47 EST 2005

Aahz wrote:
> Ubuntu *is* Debian, just repackaged.

I think "is almost" would be more accurate than just "*is*", speaking
as a Kubuntu user with a passing familiarity of the current state of
Debian and Ubuntu package maintenance.

> I used to prefer Debian until stable wouldn't work with my newest machine because
> it was two years out of date (this was *not* a machine with bleeding-edge
> components).  Of course, one can use Debian-testing, but that isn't packaged, and
> I want a packaged OS.

So, Ubuntu would fit the bill, then? It's a packaged OS (where I assume
that "packaged" is meant to describe the production of a
quality-assured, tested and signed-off release) which uses more modern
components than those typically found in Debian stable. Moreover, the
Ubuntu people do seem interested in having a good range of Python
packages ready to install using the package management system.

Paul