Random Number Generation?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Dec 11 23:22:14 EST 2005

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:
> Theoretically, the chances of getting an integer from a uniformly
> random sample from an interval of real numbers is practically zero,
> and even allowing for IEEE 754 double representation,

Well, if we're going to be picky, the chances of getting a number with
an IEEE 754 representation from a uniformly random sample from an
interval of real numbers is practically zero. Of course, this is true
for *any* finite subset of the reals (such as the set of numbers that
have names that can be pronounced in the average human lifespan), and
probably an infinite number of infinite subsets as well.

But I tend to pick irrationals when asked to "pick a number between 1
and 10."

> So what do you mean by "integer"?
> And what by "decimals"?

I think we should start by finding out what he means by "number",
which is apparently a superset of both what he means by "integer" and
"decimals".

        <mike