csrss.exe & Numeric

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 15:57:16 EST 2005

[jelle]
> I have a function that uses the Numeric module. When I launch the
> function csrss.exe consumes 60 / 70 % cpu power rather than having
> python / Numeric run at full speed. Has anyone encountered this problem
> before? It seriously messes up my Numeric performance.
>
> I'm running 2.4.2 on xp.

Need more clues than that.  What does your function do?  What
facilities does your function make use of?

csrss.exe is the "user-mode side" of Windows, and consumes a lot of
CPU if, for example, you're starting/stopping many threads, or display
a lot of output to "a DOS box".  You should also be aware that several
kinds of malware install a program named "csrss.exe" or "CSRSS.EXE"
(search the web for more on that, and run a virus scan).