ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Wed Dec 7 13:20:25 EST 2005

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:26:59 +0000, Zeljko Vrba wrote:

> Braces are very convenient to match block start and end. Open a C program
> in the VI editor, and press % in command mode on some brace.. It will take
> you to its matching brace. How do you do something like that with python code
> (or any code that is based purely on indentation..)

(1) You don't need to, because you can *see* where the indentation
changes, so you don't need to rely on your editor counting for you.

(2) And if you do need to, then you should use a smarter editor that
understands indentation levels, not just braces.

Braces are superfluous if you use consistent indentation, and indentation
is superfluous -- to the compiler -- if you use braces. But indentation is
*not* superfluous to the human eye: we can parse indentation very easily,
but nested braces/brackets only with great difficulty. That's why
programmers in languages that ignore indentation still indent their code,
or at least the sensible ones do.

--
Steven.