python speed

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Dec 1 15:22:36 EST 2005

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> If you wire everything down, you can always hand-code assembler that
>> will be faster than HLL code
> but that doesn't mean that your hand-coded assembler will always be faster
> than an HLL implementation that addresses the same problem:

True. But you can always recode the assembler to make it faster than
the HLL for the case at hand, possibly making it worse in other cases.

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/2005-November/004519.html
>     "Pure Python division is 16x slower than GMP but can actually
>     be faster in some instances; for example, dividing a 2,000,000
>     digit number by an 800,000 digit number"

This isn't the case I outlined, though. This is general-purpose
assembler package, not assembler code designed specifically for
dividing a 2,000,000 digit number by an 800,000 digit number.

        <mike