python24.dll and encodings ?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 16 14:09:39 EST 2005

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Technically, as far as py2exe is concerned, it would be nice if the zlib
> module was a builtin module because it would be easier to bootstrap the
> executable - for obvious reasons the zlib module cannot be loaded from a
> (compressed) zipfile.  Unfortunately, this collides with Martin's
> current policy to exclude extensions that need third party source code
> from the python dll.

That could change, of course. I personally would have no problems
requiring that zlib is available on the build machine - I always
have it available.

I would expect that others using the subversion trunk on Windows
would object, though. Perhaps it might be possible to create
some sort of compile time condition, ideally automatically
detected.

In any case, a PEP would have to answer these issues.

Regards,
Martin