Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 15 11:57:44 EST 2005

Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.2155.1134660942.18701.python-list at python.org>,
> Steve Holden  <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
>>Aahz wrote:

>>>Actually, I've gotten used to doing
>>>
>>>    python -c 'import this'
>>
>>Faster:
>>
>>  python -m this
>

> Only in Python 2.4 and later:
>
>     starship:~> python2.3 -m this
>     Unknown option: -m
>     usage: python2.3 [option] ... [-c cmd | file | -] [arg] ...
>     Try `python -h' for more information.
>
> Why, oh why, do so many people on this newsgroup only consider the latest
> version "correct"?  I've been guilty myself on occasion, but I do try to
> label my suggestions with version warnings.

Why, oh why, do people who don't run the latest version assume that a
solution for a more recent version labels their original solution
"incorrect"?

Dammit, the only word in my post apart from the command was "faster".
Not "wronger" or "righter" or even "better". So climb down off that high
horse. Sheesh.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119