Detect character encoding

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Dec 4 22:39:47 EST 2005

[Diez B. Roggisch]
>Michal wrote:

>> is there any way how to detect string encoding in Python?

>Recode might be of help here, it has such heuristics built in AFAIK.

If we are speaking about the same Recode ☺, there are some built in
tools that could help a human to discover a charset, but this requires
work and time, and is far from fully automated as one might dream.
While some charsets could be guessed almost correctly by automatic
means, most are difficult to recognise.  The whole problem is not easy.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca