python coding contest

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Dec 25 12:29:27 EST 2005

Simon Hengel wrote:

>> I'm envisioning lots of convoluted one-liners which
>> are more suitable to a different P-language... :-)
> I feel that python is more beautiful and readable, even if you write
> short programs.
>
>> How about """best compromize between shortness and readibility
>> plus elegance of design"""?
> I would love to choose those criteria for future events. But I'm not
> aware of any algorithm that is capable of creating a ranking upon them.
> Maybe we can come up with a solution. Any ideas?

Me neither :-)

Maybe a compromize proposal could be like this:

- Squeezing many lines into one using semicola does not help,
   the program will be expanded to use one statement per line

- blank lines are allowed and not counted if they are not
   needed as part of the code

- the length of names does not count, unless the code depends on it.

Some harmonization procedure might be applied to every solution
before counting lines, in order to avoid spectacular cryptic stuff.

I have no idea whether I'm serious about this.
Having this said, I'm trashing my one-liner :-))

if-it-doesn't-look-like-Python-it-is-not-Python - ly y'rs -- chris