Wingide is a beautiful application

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Sun Dec 18 14:40:10 EST 2005

sjdevnull at yahoo.com wrote:
> Claudio Grondi wrote:
>
>>The only thing what makes a difference to me is, that Wing 'understands'
>>Python code what results in features not available elsewhere (e.g. go to
>>definition).
>

> This is something that pretty much any reasonable programming editor
> will get you.  Vim and emacs both do it.
>
> I get the feeling that a ot of people working with heavy IDEs don't
> realize how capable vim/emacs are, so I'll give a brief rundown of what
> my Vim environment does for me.  (I do Python web development)--if you
> don't like the Vi keybindings, the Cream package is Vim that behaves
> like a regular modeless editor but with all of vim's power (and a nice
> embedded Python interpreter for writing extensions):

I have tried Vim already multiple times in the past and it had always
problems. But what was in the past must not stay this way forever, so I
have got the latest download at

http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cream/cream-0-33-1-gvim-6-3-90-1.exe

and installed it loading my current Python file.

With [Strg]-[End] I went to the end of the file where I wanted to
continue editing, but the syntax highlighting told me there is no code
but only a comment. I checked it and found out, that Vim is apparently
not able to do proper highlighting when jumping to the end of the file
not going through other parts of the code before.
Going back to the point where triple quotes comment begun (quite in the
middle of the file) and back to the end did the trick to get proper
highlighting again.
Apparently Vim syntax highlighting analyses only the code it has already
'seen' within the editing window. This is not what I expect from a
mature editor.
I have stopped here, because I found this problem after three seconds of
using it, so imagine how much other problems will become apparent after
using it three hours, right?
Vim similar as Wing has no [View] menu entry one can use for changing
the text appearance in any reasonable Windows program, so the ancient
Unix/Linux is still there with the system font as default setting for
displaying text... It looks as I were in a DOS box, not in a text editor
on Windows.
able to edit files of any size results in an Error.
I was not able to find how to do rectangular select/paste and there was
no code folding for Python script code available.

Sorry, also this time still valid: Vim on Windows "no thank's".

I was just waste of my time to try it out again.

Claudio