BUG trace realtime

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Dec 29 13:25:05 EST 2005

malv wrote:
> After one of those 'hangs', with some luck,
> I was able to spot the cause of the trouble: a piece of old code that
> wasn't supposed to be out there! Really dumb.
> FYI, to my surprise, Python really quit. No more CPU time, no message,
> nothing. I can't recall having seen this before.

If you post the relevant "old code" it's very likely someone could point
out exactly why it failed, and how it wasn't *Python* that "quit", but
merely something in your code that was blocking.  (In other words,
Python probably did exactly what you told it to do.)

In general, Python does not "quit".  It's very robust.  When you get a
failure like that, always suspect your own code structure.

-Peter