"0 in [True,False]" returns True

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Dec 13 10:18:54 EST 2005

On 2005-12-13, bonono at gmail.com <bonono at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fredrik Lundh wrote:

>> > The OP's code(and his work around) doesn't look like he is testing for
>> > boolean
>>
>> which of course explains why he wrote
>>
>>     In some program I was testing if a variable was a boolean
>>
>> in the post I replied to...
>>
>> > but more like the data type of something. I thought there is some idiom
>> > in python which said something like "don't assume" ?
>>
>> "think before you post" ?
>>
> Don't know what you mean.
>
> He seems to be testing "boolean type", not whether it is true
> or false.

Right.  But that's almost always pointless.  Knowing whether a
variable is a boolean or not is very rarely useful.  What one
wants to know is whether a varible is true or not. The code for
that is:

  if v:
      something

  if not v:
      something

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My DIGITAL WATCH
                                  at               has an automatic SNOOZE