Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Dec 21 03:35:01 EST 2005

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
> > However the work I do is commercial and proprietary and I doubt
> > I could get approval to release it under GPL.
> I see the GPL is a problem in this environment, and you are clearly
> aware of the issues it raises. Do be aware, though, that not all GPL
> authors are rabid communists, and some will consider licensing to you
> under other licenses if you ask them. It's always worth asking, as
> some authors have chosen GPL in a somewhat uninformed way rather than
> as a political statement (you'll notice I too am trying to avoid the
> flame wars).

I'm trying to avoid flame wars too, but my take on this is that Kent's
reading is a little too restrictive and the GPL isn't really a problem
in this situation unless he's actually modifying Karrigell itself,
rather than writing applications that run under it.  I'm not trying to
advocate Karrigell (I browsed the docs for a minute and it looks nice
but I have no experience with it) but I don't see the GPL as an
obstacle to that type of usage.  All kinds of proprietary applications
are written and distributed all the time to run under the GPL'd Linux
kernel and Karrigell apps don't seem too terribly different from that.