Xah's Edu Corner: Responsible Software Licensing

robic0 robic0
Sun Dec 18 21:42:52 EST 2005

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:47:29 +0100, "Martin P. Hellwig"
<mhellwig at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Xah Lee wrote:
><cut>
>Nice rant, btw in most EU countries the software creator can not
>withdraw the responsibility of his/her/it creation, regardless of what
>the disclaimer says.

Pretty big damned statement there boy! As about a coverall
generalization for all faults if I ever heard!

> The law is the leading authority and not some
>Disclaimer/EULA, that's why most US EULA's are unauthoritative in the EU.

If the software opens a file and is in the middle of writing to it,
then the user dumps the power to the machine and ends up having to
reformat, thereby losing all his data, at what point does the
liability stop? And how is fault proven or dished out? Does the
law specifically state "repeatability" in its language?