Wheel-reinvention with Python

jbperez808 at yahoo.com jbperez808 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 03:27:55 EDT 2005

Torsten Bronger wrote:

> I've been having a closer look at wxPython which is not Pythonic at
> all and bad documented.  Probably I'll use it nevertheless.

Aye.  Couldn't agree more.

> PyGTK and PyQt may have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I like PyGTK because the calls are C-based and not as confusing
as C++-based ones.  It looks pretty good too... just a bit slow, but
that was about a year ago. Speed may have improved since.

> However, in my opinion we don't need yet another binding so thin
> that C or C++ is shining through, but a modern replacement for
> Tkinter with its Pythonic way of thinking.

You will want to take a look at Fredrik Lundh's Tkinter 3000 and
Widget Construction Kit:

http://www.effbot.org/downloads/
http://www.effbot.org/zone/wck.htm

I believe it deserves to be much more well-known that it currently is.