Socket Troubles

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Aug 28 08:12:57 EDT 2005

Chris Spencer wrote:
> I've written a simple class to manage P2P socket connections. However,
> whenever I try to receive data, the socket raises an exception with the
> error message  (11, 'Resource temporarily unavailable').

I would assume (without looking at your code) that this is equivalent to
the Windows error "WSAEWOULDBLOCK" (10035) for which Microsoft's docs
say this:

Resource temporarily unavailable.
     This error is returned from operations on nonblocking sockets that
cannot be completed immediately, for example recv when no data is queued
to be read from the socket. It is a nonfatal error, and the operation
should be retried later. It is normal for WSAEWOULDBLOCK to be reported
as the result from calling connect on a nonblocking SOCK_STREAM socket,
since some time must elapse for the connection to be established.

Does that help?  If not, at least provide information about what
platform you're running on, and preferably post the code, if you can
reduce it to only a few lines which still reproduces the problem.  Many
people don't like to spend time downloading code from who knows where
and attempting to run it on their own machine, but could find the
problem with a quick inspection of your code if posted here (but not if
it's hundreds of lines!).

-Peter