Path as a dictionary tree key? (was Re: PEP on path module for standard library)

Brian Beck exogen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:06:05 EDT 2005

Ron Adam wrote:
> This give a more general purpose for path objects.  Working out ways to
> retrieve path objects from a dictionary_tree also would be useful I
> think.  I think a Tree class would also be a useful addition as well.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I don't think this would be as useful as you think, for Path objects at
least.  Path objects represent *a* path, and building a tree as you have
proposed involves storing much more information than necessary.  For
instance, if I have the path /A/B/X, a tree-structured object would
logically also store the siblings of X and B (subpaths of B and A).

--
Brian Beck
Adventurer of the First Order