pythonXX.dll size: please split CJK codecs out

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun Aug 21 15:08:04 EDT 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>Can we at least undo this unfortunate move in time for 2.5? I would be grateful
>>if *at least* the CJK codecs (which are like 1Mb big) are splitted out of
>>python25.dll. IMHO, I would prefer having *more* granularity, rather than
>>*less*.
>
> If somebody would formulate a policy (i.e. conditions under which
> modules go into python2x.dll, vs. going into separate files), I'm
> willing to implement it. This policy should best be formulated in
> a PEP.

+1  Yes, I think this needs to be addressed.

> The policy should be flexible wrt. to future changes. I.e. it should
> *not* say "do everything as in Python 2.3", because this means I
> would have to rip off the modules added after 2.3 entirely (i.e.
> not ship them at all). Instead, the policy should give clear guidance
> even for modules that are not yet developed.

Agree.

> It should be a PEP, so that people can comment. For example,
> I think I would be -1 on a policy "make python2x.dll as minimal
> as possible, containing only modules that are absolutely
> needed for startup".

Also agree,  Both the minimal and maximal dll size possible are ideals
that are not the most optimal choices.

I would put the starting minimum boundary as:

    1. "The minimum required to start the python interpreter with no
additional required files."

Currently python 2.4 (on windows) does not yet meet that guideline, so
it seems some modules still need to be added while other modules, (I
haven't checked which), are probably not needed to meet that guideline.

This could be extended to:

    2. "The minimum required to run an agreed upon set of simple Python
programs."

I expect there may be a lot of differing opinions on just what those
minimum Python programs should be.  But that is where the PEP process
comes in.

Regards,
Ron