Release of PyPy 0.7.0

Michael Sparks ms at cerenity.org
Tue Aug 30 16:11:31 EDT 2005

Michael Hudson wrote:
> The chance of any random module you have written being rpython is more
> or less zero, so it's not _that_ interesting for you to try to compile
> them with PyPy.

I know - the code I use contains LOTS of generators for example, which
obviously don't fit the requirements :) (It's not difficult to convert code
from being a generator though :-)

> No, you're still operating at the wrong level here (very easily done).
> This is the _translated PyPy_ interpreting pystone.  If you run a
> _translated pystone_ you'll (hopefully) get a different, faster
> answer.

Actually what I was aiming to compare was speed of pystone running on top of
CPython vs speed of pystone on top of translated pypy. ie running pystone
on top of something native that can execute python code :-)

> In expected order of execution speed:
>
> interpreted pypy interpreting pystone
> translated pypy interpreting pystone
> cpython interpreting pystone
> translated pystone

Damn, I'm now going to have to sit down and find out if that's true :-)

*shucks* :-)

>> Anyway, whether it's sensible or not I'm going to play with translating
>> some of my modules :)
>
> Whatever floats your boat :)

Regards,

Michael.