prevent callback during initialization

William Gill noreply at gcgroup.net
Thu Aug 25 11:27:31 EDT 2005

I am creating several tkinter widgets.  In my classes they each have a
change() method that is a callback to various IntVar, and StringVar
objects.  Everything works fine, but don't really want to trigger the
callback  when I am initializing each widget/control variable.  I can
use a "flag" like self.initialized= true, and wrap the change() procedures
in an "if self.initialized:" block.  I get the impression using "flags" is
not the preferred approach.  Is there some other way to accomplish
this without using a flag?

Can I redefine my change() method in __init__(), or would that mess up
the callback references already established?

Bill