wxPython and threads again

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 11 14:49:10 EDT 2005

David E. Konerding DSD staff wrote:
> http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.1/wx_threadfunctions.html#threadfunctions
>
> This strongly suggests you can arbitrarily grab the wx GUI lock and call GUI
> functions from any thread.  It's still voodoo.  But we're adults here, and practicing
> voodoo isn't proscribed.

Oh, very nice... for my automatic testing requirements anyway.  I did
not know those existed...

I agree using this in real code is probably not wise, and you're right
that it is best described as "voodoo".  :)

> But won't wx.CallAfter cause a bit of a delay since it will wait until
> all pending events are processed and only handle the function afterwards,
 > thus inducing an extra event loop cycle/redraw?

Since it's built on PostEvent, it will do whatever happens with other
stuff that is PostEvent-ed, I suppose.  Your description is probably
accurate...

-Peter