Syntax error after upgrading to Python 2.4

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 6 17:15:22 EDT 2005

"Fernando" <frr at easyjob.net> wrote in message
news:1123323206.151000.309140 at g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I wrote
>> I don't see the problem yet.  I certainly do not see anything that
>> should
>> have been affected by the upgrade (was it from 2.3 on XP also?)
> Yes.

and
>> After checking for nonprinting chars, I would shuffle the param-default
>> lines to try to determine which is really at fault.  Good luck, or wait
>> for
>> a more helpful response.

Did you try either of these.

> I reinstalled version 2.3.5 and everything works fine now. It's
> definately something related to the latest version.

Yes and no.  Sometimes fixing implementation bugs, which was half the
effort in 2.4 and all the effort in 2.4.1, exposes bugs in program code.
Sometimes installations have bugs not in the version itself.  Or the OS has
bugs, or faults in the particular installation.  Perhaps you needed to
reinstall 2.4.1.

> <rant>
> Constantly adding new features to a language might be fun, but it
> substantially increases the odds of adding bugs and misfeatures, such
> as whatever was causing problems with my code or the 'perlish' syntax
> for decorators.
> </rant>

At the moment, we *do not know* that your problem has *anything* with new
features added in 2.4.  And we won't unless you help the community effort
to improve Python.  So I won't take what you said too seriously.

In any case letting developers add new features is part of the price of
getting unpaid bug fixes for free software.  But note that PSF does not
make you to upgrade.  Here is the current list of possible downloads.

Python 2.4.1 (March 30, 2005)
Python 2.4 (November 30, 2004)
Python 2.3.5 (February 8, 2005)
Python 2.2.3 (May 30, 2003)