Art of Unit Testing

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 3 15:11:25 EDT 2005

phil hunt wrote:
> I think we might be talking at cross purposes here. To me
> "acceptance test suite" means a test suite that has to be passed
> each time before a new version of the software is released to the
> users. I don't see that 10 minutes is a sensible limit here, unless
> you are releasing more often that once a day. (I once had an
> acceptance test suite that ran for 12 hours; I used to run it
> nightly).

We're clearly on different wavelengths.  I thought Extreme Programming
was sort of the context, where the acceptance tests actually *are* run
many times during the day, as well as before each new release.  (A new
release could technically occur more than once in a day as well, so it's
a good thing if the tests take less than 12 hours.)

>>Still, in a large project (and especially one written in Python, with
>>the overhead of interpreter startup and the cost of executing bytecode)
>>the suite can get fairly long if you have many hundreds of tests.
>
> I'm currently running one with 227 assertions in 38 test functions.
> It runs in <1 second on an AMD 3000+.

That's a nice start. ;-)

-Peter