Jargons of Info Tech industry

Ulrich Hobelmann u.hobelmann at web.de
Fri Aug 26 12:03:21 EDT 2005

John Bokma wrote:
>> I have cookies off, with explicit exception for sites where
>> I want cookies.  When the crappy website doesn't bother to MENTION that
>> it wants cookies, i.e. give me an error page, how am I to know that it
>> needs cookies?  Do I want EVERY website to ask me "do you allow XY to
>> set a cookie?"  NO!
>
> So what do you want? An error page for every site that wants to set a
> cookie?

No, the few sites where I actually have to log in to do anything useful,
when they're well-coded, tell me that they need cookies, and if I think
I like that website I make an exception entry for that site, allowing
cookies.  Most sites just bombard you with useless, crap cookies (maybe
advertising), so they are silently ignored by my browser.

The only thing I hate is when I am directed to some website that needs
cookies, but doesn't tell me.  A couple times I did a survey, wasting
maybe 10 minutes of my life for a good cause, and then there was an
error. Great!  I guess that page needed cookies, but didn't bother to
tell me.  Back button didn't work, either, so I just left that website.

OTOH, people who can't code can be fun, too, such as when you visit a
website and there are lots of PHP, Java, SQL, or ASP errors ;)

--
I believe in Karma.  That means I can do bad things to people
all day long and I assume they deserve it.