Jargons of Info Tech industry

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Fri Aug 26 08:47:47 EDT 2005

Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann at web.de> wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:
>> usenet at isbd.co.uk wrote:
>>
>>> In comp.lang.perl.misc John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote:
>>
>> [ web based boards ]

>>> A choice of news readers to suit different people with different
>>> interfaces,
>>
>> - different browsers, different stylesheets, different board styles
>> (themes).
>
> But the UI is still *forced* on you by the website; no choice.
> There's only a very limited choice, and it invariably *includes* the
> UI.  With NNTP *you* choose how to interpret and display the data you
> get.

With a web based forum too. Example:
http://johnbokma.com/perl/phpbb-remote-backup.html

>> http://www.phpbb.com/mods/
>
> Great.  How can I, the user, choose, how to use a mod on a given web
> server?

Ask the admin?

> What if the web server runs another board than PHPBB?

Check if there is a mod, and ask the admin.

>> Does the user want this? And with a user stylesheet you can change it
>> quite radically :-)
>
> The look, not the feel.

Wild guess: (signed) javascript and iframes? on your local computer?

Otherwise: fetch HTML, parse it, restructure it, and have the
application run a local webserver. Python, Perl, piece of cake.

>> And in return the user gets: colors, fonts, font sizes, embedding of
>> images, flash, you name it. Moving avatars, even sounds.
>
> As I wrote earlier, you *could* run a web forum over NNTP, and use
> HTML posts instead of plain text.  It would have the advantages of
> NNTP.
>
>> Oh, yes, I would love to see an XML interface on the board I use.
>> Maybe I can just install a mod, or write one myself.
>
> What would that XML be for?  Any particular *use*?

RSS feeds? XML-RPC? Access to the board with a better mark up then HTML
supports?

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/