As Simple As Possible?

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Thu Aug 18 10:05:02 EDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Jules Dubois wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 22:11, jitya <jitendran at productdossier.com>
> (<1124338318.133726.304370 at g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>) wrote:
>
>> After three years of study, I have concluded that Python is about as
>> simple as a full-powered object-oriented language can get.
>>
>> I know of no language to which these words apply more than Python.
>
> Smalltalk is or would be my first choice if everything else were equal.
> Python is what I actually use.

The showstopping problem with smalltalk, IMHO, is the intertwining of the
language and the environment. Smalltalk weenies hold this up as one of its
greatest strengths, but to me, it just looks like there's twice as much to
learn to begin with. A good command-line smalltalk plus a python-style
simple interactive environment would be a winning combination.

Otherwise, i agree that smalltalk is basically the perfect language.

tom

--
If you tolerate this, your children will be next.