Art of Unit Testing

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Tue Aug 2 15:26:28 EDT 2005

Björn Lindström wrote:
>>Would it make sense to add "globaleSetup" and "globalTearDown" methods
>>to the TestCase class?
> In general that's not such a good idea.

I completely agree and I think it makes a lot of sense that unittest
calls setUp and tearDown for every single test. However, the fact that
this is *generally* the best way doesn't exclude the fact that there are
*exceptions* when it makes sense to setUp and tearDown not for every
test, e.g. when it is absolutely sure that the fixture cannot be
destroyed by the individual tests or when creating the fixture takes too
much time. I already gave the example of creating database connections
or even creating/importing whole databases. My question was, how do I
handle these cases with the standard lib unittest?

According to the "extreme programming" paradigm, testing should be done
several times a day. So a requirement for extreme programm is that tests
are fast enough. If the testing needs too much time, people are
discouraged to test often.

-- Christoph