GUI tookit for science and education

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Aug 15 17:52:36 EDT 2005

On 2005-08-15, phil <phillip.watts at anvilcom.com> wrote:

>> Tkinter is the default GUI for Python, it runs on lots of platforms
>> and often comes already installed (on Linux or Unix distributions).
>>

> I use Tkinter for a geometry course. I think it is fairly easy to
> learn, much easier than say VB.  VERY portable and pretty well
> documented and very well supported on this list.
> It doesn't have much math built in.  For functions you have to
> plot points.

If you want to plot stuff, the gnuplot-py module is very easy
to use.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot-py/

The one feature that I'd really like to add is the ability to
plot a python function object.  Currently you can plot a
function specified by a string (e.g. "sin(x) * sin(x)**2"), or
a sequence of data points.  It would be nice to be able to pass
an actual function.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  hubub, hubub, HUBUB,
                                  at               hubub, hubub, hubub, HUBUB,