What are modules really for?

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Thu Aug 11 05:12:26 EDT 2005

Tito wrote:

> <snip>
>

>>If I want to change one class and replace the file on the install then I
>>need to put a whole bunch of classes on - increasing the change of
>>making a mistake.
>>

>Sorry, I don't understand the previous sentence. What is meant by
>"replace on the install"? And by "to put a whole bunch of classes on"?
>

><snip>

Suppose you have a logistics tracking system available on every install
in your company - there are 55 installs throughout the company.  You
wish to push through a patch because of a problem.  If you have one
class per file you can push that class through onto the client install.
However, if you have 15 different classes in one file - you will need to
drop all 15 classes through, thereby increasing the likelihood of
accidently pushing a bug onto the install.  If you want to do live
updating (don;t think that this is a feature of Python so it's acadmenic
here) then what do you do, reload all 15 classes - just the one you've
changed?

>Well, I wasn't talking exactly about making use of dangerous features of
>  languages, but more about the way of using imperative object-oriented
>languages in a non-object-oriented way.

well, in languages like C#, Java and eiffel - you shouldn't really be
doing that anyways.  that is why they are poor choices for hobbies,
hacks and quickie.

>Regards,
>Tito

    P.S. why is Glenn McGrath walking about??

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn