pain

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Aug 4 20:46:49 EDT 2005

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:

> On 2005-08-03, Mage <mage at mage.hu> wrote:
>
>> Isn't jython slower (I mean performance) than java? As well as
>> I understand jython code will be interpreted twice.
>
> Jython gets compiled into Java byte code just like Java gets
> compiled into Java byte code.  Then whatever platform you're
> using either interprets the Java byte code or uses some variant
> of JIT compilation into native object code.

The compiled jython will pay a performance penalty for being
dynamic. Where Java knows the type of objects, and can deduce the
correct method to call at compile time (well, some of the time,
anyway), the jython code will have to do a method search at run time.

Chance are, if you're supposed to be wwriting in Java, your
application isn't sensitive enough to the performance of the code for
this to matter.

         <mike