Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Aug 5 03:06:01 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:

> Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>> Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:

>>> That doesn't seem to match the common defintion of "agile" when
>>> it comes to programming. Then again, you have a habit of using
>>> words to mean whatever you want, without much reference to how
>>> they're used by the rest of the industry.
>>
>> I'm not part of the industry.
>
> That's no excuse for not learning the terminology, or at least
> avoiding using phrases which already have a common meaning.

Granted, I didn't pay enough attention to the fact that for industry
people "agile" has a much stronger connotation.  Nevertheless, it's
an ordinary English word, too, so that's no excuse for not trying to
understand what I *mean*.  Since nobody has any chance to see which
programming strategy the projects uses, you must deliberatly
misunderstand me for assuming that I meant "agile programming".

> [...]
>
> [...] The difference is ther are a lot of other choices, so it
> gets chosen less often.  But I note that at least one of the 155
> projects on SourceForge that list FORTRAN as a language is a GUI
> application for Windows.

I see no difference to special-purpose language then.

> [...]
>
> [...] Just like some C/C++ applications are legacy code, and some
> aren't. Which contradicts your earlier assertion that C/C++
> applications were all legacy code.

Reference?

> [...]
>
> Earlier, you said you wanted a popular language because they get
> cool features faster. You hold up two proprietary VC++ (which is
> just an development environment) and VB as "popular" languages. If
> you've been watching software development long enough, you'd
> realize that "cool things" usually come from open source projects
> first.

That's right (or rather, I believe you).  I just want to use a
popular langauge amongst the ones that have free success ("free" in
the sense of Free Software).

I used VB and VC++ for my assertion -- that you don't share -- that
GUI abilities are the only way to get much popularity, which is in
my opinion necessary for "cool things".  If you say it's not
sufficient, okay.

Tschö,
Torsten.