Jargons of Info Tech industry

Ulrich Hobelmann u.hobelmann at web.de
Fri Aug 26 04:53:53 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> "Mike Schilling" <mscottschilling at hotmail.com> writes:
>> Another advantage is that evewry internet-enabled computer today already
>> comes with an HTML renderer (AKA browser)
>
> No, they don't. Minimalist Unix distributions don't include a browser
> by default. I know the BSD's don't, and suspect that gentoo Linux
> doesn't.
>
> HTML is designed to degrade gracefully (never mind that most web
> authors and many browser developers don't seem to comprehend this), so
> you don't really need a "subset" html to get the safety features you
> want. All you need to do is disable the appropriate features in the
> HTML renderer in your news and mail readers. JavaScript, Java, and any
> form of object embedding. Oh yeah, and frames.

That's a good idea.  I have parts of it disabled.  The advantage of
disabling them all is that you don't have to visit all those crappy
modern websites, because they don't work.

What I hate about most are the sites that don't even *mention* that they
want cookies.  Often I have to wonder, reinput input fields etc. and
then after ten minutes trying *bang*, the idea, maybe to allow cookies
for that site.  Some people really don't have a clue, but kludgy "web
standards technologies" (by the oh-so-omnisavant W3C) kind of force it.

--
I believe in Karma.  That means I can do bad things to people
all day long and I assume they deserve it.