Library vs Framework (was Dr. Dobb's Python-URL!)

Paolino paolo_veronelli at libero.it
Tue Aug 16 14:00:01 EDT 2005

Rocco Moretti wrote:
> Cameron Laird wrote:
>
>>     Andy Smith rails against "frameworks":
>>
>> http://an9.org/devdev/why_frameworks_suck?sxip-homesite=&checked=1
>

> Slapdash Summary: Libraries good, frameworks bad - they are a
> straightjackets and limit sharing.
>
> Which lead me to the question - what's the difference between a library
> and a framework?

A library is a set of base behaviours you have to learn separetly and
deeply to inherit a mix of them and build an aspect of your program.
A framework is a dumb runnable program in which you must insert your
plugins as specifications to drive it towards a useful instance of it.

A framework misses libraries of methods to become useful.

A library is a set of loosely coupled classes useful for machines to
attack a problem .
A framework is a set of highly coupled interfaces useful for humans to
describe a task.

Ciao Paolino