Binary Trees in Python

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Sun Aug 21 04:38:55 EDT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:19:55 -0400, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.3314.1124564952.10512.python-list at python.org>,
>  [diegueus9] Diego Andrés Sanabria <zessa9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello!!!
>>
>> I want know if python have binary trees and more?
>
> Python does not come with a tree data structure.  The basic data structures
> in Python are lists, tuples, and dicts (hash tables).
>
> People who are used to C++'s STL often feel short-changed because there's
> not 47 other flavors of container, but it turns out that the three Python
> gives you are pretty useful.  Many people never find a need to look beyond
> them.

Uh, the STL has seven flavors:
- vector
- deque
- list
- set
- map
- multimap
- multiset
so that's not too bad for a static language. Each of them
is vital for some purpose, but vector and map are by far the
most commonly used.

Neither C++ nor Python has tree structures in their standard libraries. I
assume that's because there is no single interface that is proven to suit
everybody's needs.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!