How do these Java concepts translate to Python?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Aug 12 08:32:09 EDT 2005

"Ray" <ray_usenet at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been learning Python in my sparetime. I'm a Java/C++ programmer by
> trade. So I've been reading about Python OO, and I have a few questions
> that I haven't found the answers for :)
>
> 1. Where are the access specifiers? (public, protected, private)

Quick answer; there are none, all attributes are public.

Slightly longer answer; if you name an attribute with two leading
underscores (i.e. "__myPrivateData"), there is some name mangling that goes
on which effectively makes the attribute private.  There are ways around
it, but you have to know what you're doing and deliberately be trying to
spoof the system (but, then again, exactly the same can be said for C++'s
private data).

Soapbox answer; private data is, in some ways, a useful tool, but it is not
part and parcel of object oriented programming.  I've had people (mostly
C++/Java weenies) that Python is not an OOPL because it does not enforce
data hiding.  "Feh", I say to them.