Python and games

Eric Lavigne lavigne.eric at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 22:54:12 EDT 2005

>Like XML, scripting was extremely useful as both a mod tool and an
>internal development tool.  If you don't have any need to expose code
>and algorithms in a simple and safe way to others, you can argue that
>providing a scripting language is not worth the effort.  However, if you
>do have that need, as we did, scripting is a no brainer, and it makes
>complete sense to use a powerful, documented, cross-platform standard
>such as Python.

The Torque Game Engine at www.garagegames.com is written in C++ and
comes with a customized scripting language, torquescript, with a c-like
syntax. Despite that, some game developers decided to add Python as
another scripting layer on top of torquescript. The modified version of
Torque is called PyTorque. I never tried PyTorque, but looking back on
my time with torquescript this sounds like a very good idea.
Torquescript was fine for convenient access to Torque features, but it
never felt as flexible as a general-purpose language like Python. I
expect that the Torque development team could have saved themselves a
lot of trouble by using Python as an extension language to begin with.