passing arguments from scale widget to function

Matt Hammond matt.hammond at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 07:31:31 EDT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:16:01 +0100, m7b52000 <tpearce at internode.on.net>
wrote:

>>     command = lambda : Calc(a.get())

> I get the following message when I use lambda as above:
>
> TypeError: <lambda>() takes no arguments (1 given)

Oops, forgot! The Scale widget outputs a single argument - the value of
the slider. You therefore could write:

    command = lambda value : Calc(value)

or even simpler:

    command = Calc

In the latter case, you're supplying your "calc" function as the function
to be called. Calc takes a single argument - the value of the slider, so
it fulfills the task. Note that we're passing "Calc" (the function
itself), not "Calc(...)" (the result of calling the function)

regards

Matt