Cheese shop (was Re: python2.4/site-packages)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 12 19:57:08 EDT 2005

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> I came across the change a good while back in my Web referrals, not
> having heard of it except passively.  PyPI was a simple, clear,
> unambiguous name; Cheese Shop is just a silly name for no purpose.

Conversely, PyPI is a dull name with no obvious pronunciation, thus
difficult to remember; whereas Cheese Shop is a short phrase (that can
be translated), is easy to remember and has easy analogies to its
actual function.

--
 \      "Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity |
  `\     of the graveyard."  -- Justice Roberts in 319 U.S. 624 (1943) |