Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 1 23:56:47 EDT 2005

Jorge Godoy <godoy at ieee.org> writes:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>
>> We already have multiple distributions of Python: CPython, IronPython,
>> and Jython (and there's at least one more). We even have multiple
>> distributions of CPython, what with Active State doing their own and
>> the MacPython distribution. I'm not proposing a fundamental change in
>> the world, I'm suggesting an addition that would satisify the OPs
>> needs.
>> The "standard" distributor is whichever one your organization settles
>> on when it comes time to choose a Python distribution.
> So we don't solve the problem with a "standard" distribution and that was
> the point I was trying to show.

Exactly what problem are you trying to solve? If it's the one about
not having a standard GUI, I don't think it's a problem.

> In fact this sounds more like a joke I've heard a while ago: standards, if
> you don't like the ones out there, create your own.

Works for me.

>> None of which has stopped linux from following this path.
>
> And solve a completely different problem while sharing the very same problem
> you, on the post prior to mine, was trying to solve: what is the standard
> GUI on a Linux distribution?  QVWM?  WindowMaker?  Gnome?  KDE?  FVWM?

I think you have me confused with someone else. I was responding to
someone who was claiming that the lack of a standard enterprise
strength GUI toolkit was a serious problem for Python - I disagree. I
won't recap the thread, but other languages have been *very*
successful without having a GUI as part of the language, all they had
was one development environment distributed with a GUI.

BTW, in answer to your rhetorical question about GUI's for Linux, the
answer is plwm.

    <mike