Library vs Framework (was Dr. Dobb's Python-URL!)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Thu Aug 18 03:08:02 EDT 2005

In article <1124263179.916111.34960 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Kay Schluehr <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> wrote:
			.
>What are frameworks really good for - a very true success story.
>
>A colleague of mine used to spread all kinds of flags ( state- and
>property markers ) over the code that were used to glue everything
>together until I raised my tyranny of frameworks. It was a hard
>struggle for an OO warrier and took me almost a year or so to become
>the undebated projects architect/dictator who trashed all kind of
>misguided "freedom" ( i.e. bad code ): "What the fuck is this?" "I
>worked almost a week on it!" "It has to be reworked." "No, you don't do
>it!" I did it. Who claims that social life is easy? What is nice about
>this kind of cruelness is not only my colleague became finally happy
>and hopefully learned at least a little bit about programming but also
>our customers were gratefull about stable code, thight release
>schedules and just-in-time requirement dispatch. Now we have some
>bread-and-butter maintenance contract and true freedom to experiment
>with other more interesting things besides this. But the struggle just
>starts again with the new project ;)
			.
			.
			.
Kay, please say that over again (I recognize you've heard that
from me before).  Are you saying that your colleague misapplied
your chosen framework by programming too much OUTside the frame-
work, and the global flags were a symptom of that?  So is your
conclusion that framework use takes non-trivial education?