can I delete one of *.py *.pyc *.pyo in /usr/lib/python2.3 ?

Mon Aug 22 13:33:38 EDT 2005

Magnus Lycka wrote:
> If you remove all *.pyc and *.pyo, they will be regenerated as needed.
> If your code only uses a small fraction of the standard library, you
> will save quite some space here. The only reason they are generated on
> installation is to save some runtime on first use of a module, and
> perhaps aviod the surprise of an installation that continues to grow
> after a completed installation...
Another reason is to allow efficient access to python for users who
do not have permission to create files (the .pyc and .pyo files) in
Python's library directories.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org