formal math ?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 28 13:10:36 EDT 2005

mehdi.rabah at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just discovered python and it seems so easy ans so powerful to
> me that it remind me matlab or maple programming language (sorry free
> software purists ears).
>
> So I was wondering if there a sort of formal math library, that can do
> a thing like:
>
> lib.solve("x+1=0")
> -> x=-1
>
> I have checked numarray and I think it can not do this.
>
> Thanks in advance,

No, you need to type some more. :-)  You need to define function
    def f(x):
	return x + 1
and call root solver, either from a library or function imported from
module.

For simple cases, I use RPN calculator recently added to Bash shell,
like
    rpn 'f(x)= 1 +' 0 1 secant =
    rpn 'f(x)= 1 +' 'fd(x)= 1'  0 newton =

--