The ONLY thing that prevents me from using Python

D H no at spam
Wed Aug 24 18:50:08 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Richie Hindle <richie at entrian.com> writes:
>
>>I can't speak for linode.org, but I have a Xen VPS from rimuhosting.com
>>and it's early days but so far I've been very impressed.  It's $19/mo
>>(normally $20 but they kindly gave me a 5% Open Source Developer discount)
>

> Do you get enough resources in that minimal-cost configuration to run
> significant Python applications?

Yes, you get more than enough to run python apps.  You have to know how
to run your own linux box though, including installing and configuring
any extra software you want (with debian it's very easy using 'sudo
apt-get').  Mod_python for example and apache2.

I would look for a minimum 64mb ram, 3 gigs hd space, and minimum 15
gigs transfer/mo.  At $20/mo, rimuhosting gives you 96mb ram, 4gig
space, and 30gigs transfer/mo.  So that does look like a good deal.

(I don't use or work with any UML hosting provider.  I used to have
Bytemark, and it was great, although it looks like rimu and others may
offer more for your buck now)

The catch is the RAM restriction, which you might run into if you have
huge mysql databases or whatever, and hard drive access is a slower than
on a dedicated server.  But I never noticed any slowdowns or ran into
ram limitations.