Python Wireless Extension Module (pyiw)

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Thu Aug 11 17:02:51 EDT 2005

I am mostly done with writing an extension module in C that wraps (and
makes easier) interfacing with libiw (the library that powers iwconfig,
iwlist, and friends on Linux). We're using this internally for a tool to
manage wireless connectivity. This is a million times better than
hundreds of invocations of the iw* suite of tools. :)

Would anyone else find something like this useful? I know a few distros
maintain their own suite of config tools, but I don't think there is yet
an actual binding for python.

Anyway, I am just curious... we plan on using it, at any rate. It's
already made the code easier to read, faster, and more reliable.

wlan = pyiw.WirelessInfo("wlan0")

nets = wlan.Scan()

for net in nets:
	print net.signal_quality