Python and the web

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Tue Aug 23 05:44:27 EDT 2005

Joe T. wrote:
> Hello group, I'm new to Python and have a couple of beginner questions that
> I'm hoping someone can answer.
>
> 1. Is python something that you would recommend using for server side web
> programming?

Definitively yes.

> Something like C# or Java?

Far better IMHO.

> If so, are there any resources
> that you could point me to that would help me with server side python
> programming for dynamic html data?  Most of the tutorials that I see deal
> with the Shell but I'd like to know more about using Python for database
> querying and printing database data on an html page as I would with .net's
> C# or Java.

If your need is to build a web frontend for relational datas, have a
look at Django:
http://www.djangoproject.com/

Else, you have a huge choice of web programming solutions in Python, the
 most known being Zope, Twisted/Nevow and CherryPy (but there are many
others....).

> 2. I know there's a Jpython but what use would I get from using Python with
> Java?  If I'm already familiar with Java programming why would I want to use
> Python with Java?

Because Python is much more usable than Java ?-)

But unless you need to work in a Java environnement, better stick to
CPython.

--
bruno desthuilliers
ruby -e "print 'onurb at xiludom.gro'.split('@').collect{|p|