Revamping Python build system (Was: pythonXX.dll size: please split CJK codecs out)

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Sun Aug 21 07:29:56 EDT 2005

Michael Hoffman wrote:

>> FWIW, this just highlights how ineffecient your build system is.
>> Everything you currently do by hand could be automated, including
>> MSI generation.
>
> I'm sure Martin would be happy to consider a patch to make the build
> system more efficient. :)

Out of curiosity, was this ever discussed among Python developers? Would
something like scons qualify for this? OTOH, scons opens nasty
self-bootstrapping issues (being written itself in Python).

Before considering a patch (or even a PEP) for this, the basic requirements
should be made clear. I know portability among several UNIX flavours is one,
for instance. What are the others?
--
Giovanni Bajo