Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 1 23:49:05 EDT 2005

Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 14:58 -0400, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> And what do I use to bundle my application for Unix? Most of the
>> things I build get installed on Unix servers.
> You install GUI apps on Unix *servers*?

Yup. Thanks to the wonders of X, I can run GUI apps on servers and
have them display on my desktop. Or my OS X laptop. I normally leave a
gkrellm running on most of my servers.

Of course, the problem under discussion isn't restricted to GUI
apps. Anytime I use a third party library, I have to deal with how end
users are going to get it.

> Regardless, when you say "Unix", what do you mean?  You may as well say
> "OS" as this term has little meaning.  Linux (which flavor)?  BSD?  SCO?
> HPUX?  OS/X?  Minix?   Whichever way, I suspect that a bit of distutils
> hacking would solve your problem.

I think the post I replied to covered the OS X case - there's an
application bundler available for it already.

I want distributions that will work on all three major BSD variants
and most Linux distrubtions - in particular, anything that uses deb's,
rpm's or emerge. If you want to choose one in particular, try ubuntu
Linux.

        <mike