how to append semicolon to a variable

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Aug 13 13:02:47 EDT 2005

On 2005-08-13, yaffa <yxxxxlxxxxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> i have the following lines of python code:
>
>       couch = incident.findNextSibling('td')
> 	price = couch.findNextSibling('td')
> 	sdate = price.findNextSibling('td')
> 	city = sdate.findNextSibling('td')
> 	strUrl = addr.b.string
> currently what this ends up doing is creating something like this
>
> couch3201/01/2004newyork
>
> now what i want to do is add a semicolon after the couch, price, sdate,
> city so that i get something like this
>
> couch;32;01/01/2004;new york

Try this:

s = ';'.join([couch,price,sdate,city])
print s

> p.s. i tried couch = couch + ';'
> and then i tried couch = couch + ";"

both of those should have worked fine.

> and then i tried couch = couch.append ';'

 1) The append() method of a sequence doesn't return anything.

 2) You call methods using ()

 3) String are immutable, and therefore don't have an append
    method.

Perhaps you ought to read through the tutorial?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  LOOK!!! I'm WALKING
                                  at               in my SLEEP again!!